As a landscape or lawn care business owner, you’re always looking for ways to grow your business and increase profitability. One often overlooked yet highly effective strategy is to offer landscape enhancements to your clients. Landscape enhancements and lawn care extras are additional services that go beyond routine maintenance and can significantly boost your bottom line. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the benefits of landscape enhancements and lawn care extras, the types of services you can offer, and how to effectively price and sell these services to your clients.
The Benefits of Landscape Enhancements and Lawn Care Extras
Landscape enhancements and lawn care extras provide several key benefits to both your clients and your business:
- Client Satisfaction: Enhancements and extras allow you to offer customized solutions that improve the functionality, aesthetics, and value of your clients’ properties. Clients appreciate the proactive approach and the opportunity to invest in their landscapes.
- Increased Revenue: Enhancements and extras are typically high-margin services that can contribute significantly to your overall revenue. By offering a range of enhancement services, you can diversify your income streams and reduce dependency on routine maintenance contracts.
- Competitive Advantage: Offering landscape enhancements and lawn care extras sets you apart from competitors who only provide basic maintenance services. It positions you as a full-service lawn or landscape provider capable of meeting a wide range of client needs.
Types of Landscape Enhancements
There are numerous enhancement services you can offer to your clients, depending on their property needs and your expertise. Some popular options include:
- Planting Upgrades: Refresh tired or outdated plantings with new, vibrant selections. Consider adding seasonal color, perennial gardens, or water-wise plants to enhance curb appeal.
- Irrigation Upgrades: Help clients conserve water and reduce maintenance costs with efficient irrigation systems. Offer smart controllers, drip irrigation, and rainwater harvesting solutions.
- Hardscape Installations: Enhance property functionality with hardscape features such as patios, walkways, retaining walls, and outdoor kitchens. Hardscape installations can transform outdoor spaces and create new areas for relaxation and entertainment.
- Lighting Installations: Improve safety, security, and ambiance with landscape lighting. Highlight architectural features, illuminate pathways, and create a welcoming atmosphere for evening enjoyment.
- Drainage Solutions: Address standing water, water seepage, and erosion issues with effective drainage solutions. Install French drains, rain gardens, or swales to manage water flow and protect property structures.
Types of Lawn Care Extras
- Seeding and Aeration Services: Aeration involves penetrating the soil and creating small holes that allow water, air, and nutrients to reach the roots of the grass. Overseeding involves spreading grass seed throughout the yard to encourage new grass growth.
- Grub Control or Grub Prevention: The key to controlling grubs is to prevent them before they hatch and begin to cause damage to your lawn. In spring or early summer, by applying a preventative grub control treatment.
- Fire Ant Control: There are three main ways to control fire ants: granular baits, mound treatments, and broadcast insecticide treatments. When used properly, granular baits will usually provide control and protect your clients
- Mosquito and Tick Treatments: Mosquito and Tick Protection Services provides quick knock-down & lasting relief. Have more fun outdoors without being bothered by pesky and dangerous pests.
- Soil Ph Management: Soil pH can be managed by measures such as applying the proper amounts of lime or sulfur, and cultural practices that improve soil organic matter and overall soil health. This creates a better-growing environment for turf grass.
Pricing and Selling Landscape Enhancements and Lawn Care Extras
To maximize profits from landscape enhancements, consider the following best practices:
- Understand Your Costs: Accurate estimating is crucial for profitable enhancements. Consider direct costs such as labor, materials, equipment, and delivery. Use unit pricing for small jobs and cost-plus margin pricing for larger, complex projects.
- Set Appropriate Margins: Determine pricing gross margins based on job size and complexity. Smaller jobs may require higher margins to cover mobilization costs, while larger jobs can be priced at lower margins due to economies of scale.
- Communicate Value: Clearly articulate the benefits of enhancements to your clients. Highlight how the improvements will enhance property value, reduce maintenance costs, and address specific pain points.
- Develop Master Enhancement Plans: Be proactive by creating master enhancement plans for your clients. These plans provide a roadmap for future improvements, assist clients with budget planning, and create a pipeline of projects for your business.
- Build Trust: Treat your clients’ dollars as your own and offer solutions that align with their long-term vision and budget. Building trust and providing exceptional service will encourage clients to invest in enhancements and become loyal advocates for your business.
Landscape enhancements and lawn care extras are a powerful strategy for growing your lawn and landscape business and maximizing profits. By offering a range of high-value services, understanding your costs, and effectively communicating the benefits to your clients, you can elevate your landscaping game and achieve long-term success.
Whether you’re just starting to explore enhancements and extras or looking to refine your existing offerings, this guide provides a solid foundation for unlocking the full potential of landscape enhancements in your business.
Be Well, Do Good Work, and Keep In Touch.
To Learn More Contact Fred at TrueWinds Consulting
© Copyright TrueWinds Consulting. All Rights Reserved